Sunday, January 27, 2013

Meat Pie with Tomato Gravy

I started to mix up meatloaf for supper and then I remembered that I made meatloaf a few weeks ago and froze several portions of it, so I needed a new game plan.  I decided to make a meat pie and serve it with tomato gravy.  (I had never made tomato gravy before).

Since I had already put all the meatloaf ingredients into the bowl with the ground beef, I used half of it make meatballs for another meal and I took the other half and patted it down into a eight inch square glass casserole dish.  I baked it for about 25 minutes and then poured the liquid and grease off of it, and them smushed it down into the same pan.  I put some vegetables (mixed) on top and then made a half batch of shortcake from the mix I got at the Amish bulk food store last week.  I put the whole thing back in the oven and baked for twenty more minutes.

I used the tomato gravy OVER the meat pie.  It was pretty good.  However, next time, I think I will use creamed corn (for more moisture) and make a larger batch of both the bisquit like topping and the tomato gravy.    OHHH, I used more milk than the gravy recipe calls for...............



Tomato Gravy Recipe

girl.jpgHeather says:
Digging through old cookbooks you may come across some strange ideas, especially concerning gelatin. However, there are many classic recipes being forgotten or replaced by new convenience items. A perfect example is tomato gravy. Sure, the name doesn’t invoke images of glamour or haute couture, but not everything in life has to. Tomato gravy is nice as a sauce over: rice, pasta, or pan fried meats such as chicken, fish, or pork.  This is a nice practice gravy as it isn’t meant to be perfectly smooth, don’t stress over any small lumps.
tomatogravy.jpg

Tomato Gravy
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter*
  •  2 tablespoons flour
  •  1 tsp sugar or honey
  •  1/2 teaspoon salt
  •  15-ounce can whole or stewed tomatoes
  •  1/2 cup milk**
  •  fresh ground pepper to taste
*vegans can use olive or coconut oil carnivores can use bacon drippings.
**for creamier flavor use evaporated milk
Directions:
tomatogravy2.jpgIn a skillet over medium low melt the butter or oil.  Stir in the flour; keep stirring until smooth.
tomatogravy3.jpgAllow to come to a boil and then stir in the half cup milk, a little at a time.  The flour will thicken considerably.   You’ll be left with a very thick roux.  Add the teaspoon of sugar or honey, as well as the salt and pepper.  (Stir continuously).
While still stirring, slowly add the juice from the tomatoes.   Once it has all  been incorporated add the tomatoes and squash ‘em.  (Yes, that’s my technical term).  Allow to return to a boil, then simmer until the gravy is at the desired thickness.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment