Friday, March 7, 2014

Corned Beef and Cabbage and mustard sauces

Apparently, I didn't blog last years corned beef and cabbage, so I had to start from scratch this year.

I cut one onion into wedges, one chopped apple, cut several carrots into three inch pieces, the same with celery and put on the bottom of the crockpot. Then I put the corned beef (fat side up) on top of that and prepared the liquid:

one can of beef broth with a little bit of brown sugar and a bit of balsamic vineger stirred into it. Poured this over the meat, and sprinkled some garlic pepper on top of the meat.

All morning in the crockpot on LOW.    When I got home around 1:30, I put the cabbage on top and salted and peppered it, and turned the crockpot to high.

made these two sauces

1/4
cup applesauce
2
tablespoons Dijon mustard

and

1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
combine sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard and horseradish; mix well.

and also made a gravy.  EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS!  including the cornbread that I forgot was sitting in the oven.......it got a bit dried out but was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment